Sunday, April 1, 2012

Blog Post #9

What I Have Learned This Year

Education and Training

Mr. McClung is definitely an eager and enthusiastic educator. It was nice to read about someone who is going through what I am about to go through. He discusses details about his first three years teaching. He talks about the changes he has made within himself within the classroom. When constructing lesson plans you're not always going to be perfect. You have to learn to make the lesson plan and simple teach it as best as you can. The lesson does not always turn out the way you would hope but sometimes that is a good thing. He talks about how he always strived to be the "perfect" teacher, but that is not always the outcome. You should not center your classroom around your superiors but center it around your actual students. In all actuality it's the students who are gaining knowledge from your teaching! I like how honest Mr. McClung was in his blog. He is always stating how he felt and how he would better himself as an educator. I would say Mr. McClung is a true inspiration.

Communication was stated in Mr. McClung's first blog and I think that is a prime priority in education. If one is unable to communicate with their superiors, co-workers, and students then they have lost the main objective of being a teacher. He talks about how communication is one of the hardest concepts to overcome, but always practice to ensure your skills are at best use. I strive to better my communication skills in everything I do. Weather it be with my family, boyfriend, co-workers, and customers at work. Being a server, is an excellent way to learn how to better my communication skills, on a professional level and casual.
TEACHING

In Mr. McClung's second blog most, What I Have Learn This Year, he talks about not being a control freak. Mr. McClung says he will not be one of those teachers who because a bit batty and more and more controlling. Teachers tend to control their students without even knowing they are doing it! There are simple ways to prevent yourself, the educator, from being a control freak. Simple allow your students to get their own handouts as Mr. McClung stated and give students classroom duties that can be done by not only teacher but also students! Mr. McClung is so clever to me. I think students should have more responsibilities in the classroom so the teacher isn't so controlling and commanding. I personally would like to be an educator where students can learn from my lessons but also enjoy them.

2 comments:

  1. I was hoping for a little bit more reflection. Mr. McClung's post are extremely beneficial and it's important to get as much out of them as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what you said about students having more responsibility in the classroom, even if it's just handing out papers or other little duties. Some teachers really are control freaks, and giving students some responsibilities can make them feel more important.

    As you said, work is a great place to improve communication. I don't talk a great deal at work, but when I do talk to customers or my co-workers, I strive to be polite and clear. Your job as a server must be so much tougher, since, if you encounter angry customers or anything else, you have a greater responsibility to smooth things over. You probably have that skill down no problem.

    I noticed a few grammar mistakes and missing commas in your post, but I liked reading it.

    ReplyDelete